The executive power is made up of the government and the General state administration.
The Spanish government runs international and domestic politics and the General state administration.
In this section the General state administration is presented... What is it? What does it do? What resources does it use? How is it organised?
The General state administration is a public organisation. Is the government instrument to develop and implement its public policies and to provide services.
The government leads the General state administration. The latter is guided by these principles: legality, neutrality, efficacy, efficiency and quality.
It is at the service of the government elected at any given time, regardless of its political colour.
What does it do?
To have more information on the policies and initiatives of the government and the General state administration, please see the Government of Spain Moncloa website and the sites for the different ministries. These links have noteworthy information:
- Presidency of the Government .
- 2014 Stability Programme for the Kingdom of Spain
- Plan of Measures for Growth, Competitiveness and Efficiency of June 2014
- Reform of public administrations
What services does it provide to citizens and companies?
View the section Procedures . You will find all of the General state administration's electronic services and procedures for citizens and companies.
It provides other services, for example social security, employment, health, water management, security, transport and many others. To read about them visit the website of the ministry competent in the matter you have in mind.
What resources does it use?
What resources does it use? The General state administration uses different resources to develop public policies and provide services.
- Human resources: 570,691 civil servants work at the administration, which includes the armed forces and State security forces and bodies.
- Financial resources. View information on the general state budget .
- assets. Asset management is located in the State assets . and one of the main actions in the plan for raising the value of its properties.
- Government procurement. National Procurement Platform is a benchmark for government procurement.
- Communications. The State Secretariat of Communications coordinates institutional communications on the website lamoncloa.gob.es .
- Electronic administration. The Electronic Administration website tackles the main engine for innovation of the General state administration, information technologies.
- Administrative reform and modernisation. On its reform and modernisation, the section below may interest you Reform of the administration .
How is it organised?
The General state administration (AGE) is organised via different types of bodies and institutions. All are part of the State public sector.
The main types are:
- central bodies, that is, Ministries .
- The General state administration (AGE) bodies located in autonomous communities (regions): delegations, government deputy delegations, island directorates, bodies and institutions that report directly to the ministries.
- State Foreign Service .
- Public bodies affiliated with the ministries : public bodies, public corporations, agencies, public foundations and public companies. For example, the State Employment Service.
- Institutions regulated by special regulations . For example the Bank of Spain and the Spanish Tax Agency.